One Quakers Take on Courage
There’s a well-known story in Matthews Gospel about how frightened the disciples became when they saw Jesus walk across the sea. We’re told that Jesus spoke to them, telling them not to be afraid. At this point I like to imagine that Peter’s curiosity got a hold of him because then we’re told that he called out to Jesus:
Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water. (KJB: Matthew 14, 28)
Jesus responded by inviting Peter to get out of the boat but as he did so the wind blew up and he began to sink. It’s no wonder that he became frightened once more and begged Jesus to save him:
And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt? (KJB: Matthew 14, 31)
I have to admit I have some sympathy with Peter. It’s never easy to be the one that breaks from the crowd. It takes courage. It’s my belief that being courageous is accepting an invitation to be vulnerable, following a passion not knowing where it might lead and persisting despite one’s doubts.
When I went to my first Quaker Meeting in Monkstown over twenty years ago, I was driven by curiosity, not courage. It was easy to cross the threshold of the Meeting House that first day. Everyone I met there was so welcoming. You could say that I was happy to dip my toe in the water.
Over the past two decades I’ve had plenty of doubts about that decision to rejoin a religious community, particularly in a world that has become increasingly unequal, violent and secular. And yet, had it not been for our Meeting for Worship in Monkstown I think I would have long since succumbed to my doubts and sunk beneath the waves.
At Meeting for Worship, I can feel vulnerable and know I won’t be judged, I can seek compassion for others and know I will be listened to and I can be full of doubts and not feel that I’ve to get back into the boat.
Adam Grennan
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comment on this post...