We meet every Sunday at 10.30 a.m. - visitors are always very welcome!





We hope that this blog will provide basic information for anyone interested in our form of worship and will also give up to date information about the life of our meeting for both visitors and members. For the full story about the Irish Quakers, please visit the main site by clicking on the 'Quakers in Ireland' link.



Friday, August 20, 2010

This week's reading: 22.08.10

Anna: An Exercise of the Spirit; Quakers and Prayer

Anna is a present-day British Friend who is active in a mid-week prayer group.
Prayer is an act of sharing with God the Spirit, and not an attempt to prompt God to action. It is a promise that I will do my best, even if what I am able to do seems too insignificant to be worthwhile. When I pray for peace and that the hearts of those in authority may be changed, it is a promise that I shall do such things as write to those in power, share in vigils, and above all lead my life - as far as possible - in such a manner as to take away the occasion for strife between individuals and between peoples. When I pray for others who are in need, it is a promise to make my own contribution, perhaps by writing, by visiting, by a gift, by telling someone whom I know could help. When I pray for forgiveness, for strength and courage, I try to open my heart, making it possible for me humbly to receive.

1 comment:

  1. This must be the most perceptive and valuable comment I have ever read on prayer. Just wonderful. PMM

    ReplyDelete

Comment on this post...